Wandering to Windermere in Cumbria will take you past the little hamlet of Ings. Blink and you might miss it but the Watermill Inn & Brew Pub is a must stop and here’s five quick reasons why.
- Award winning on-site micro-brewery with a large variety of ales with unique names such as “Collie Wobbles Ale” and my favorite, “Dog’th Vader” a stout with bite. If you’re a dog lover, the names alone will enchant. And of course, dogs are welcomed in the bar.
- Did I mention award winning? This year, 2017, they were acknowledged by The Good Pub Guide as #1 Own Brew Pub of the Year. In 2014 they came in as the Silver Winner for Pub of Year in England. The very least you should do is stop in for pint.
- Watermill also offers cozy 8 room accommodations with pricing (fall of 2017) for a single around US$70 and for a couple around US$107 (that’s GBP £61 & £80 and Euro €54 & €91).
- A very decent pub restaurant open from noon until 9pm. Try the local black pudding or soup of the day freshly made from local seasonal ingredients. For dinner, my pick is the Beef & Collie Wobbles Ale Pie with mushy peas and their homemade chips.
- Yes, there is a watermill in back of the pub.
Whether you stop & stay or drop in for a pint & pie, this is a great place to relax as you journey in & out of the Lake District.